Manna Coffee Bread Store - Birkenhead Auckland





When you have a restricted diet, the thought of going out to eat can be a bit depressing, especially in the beginning.

My second baby, had a dairy allergy through my breast milk. This meant, not only was I gluten free (celiac), but I also had to be completely dairy free.

Jay, the owner of Manna Coffee & Bread Store, told me how he made his own almond milk. Let me tell you, his almond milk is so good! I haven't found any other almond milk as good in all my travels.

Jay makes divine raw treats and is so lovely to chat with. Sadly we moved out of Auckland, but we often talk about how much we miss Jays coffee!

Following is a piece kindly written by Jay, for the GFF. You can learn his reasons behind Manna's raw treats and alternative milks, inspiration for us all. Please go say hello if you are in Auckland, he really is the best.

JAY'S STORY:

Why Raw? It's all about the benefits. We get a lot of customers come through our door from different walks of life, one thing they all have in common is wanting to eat sustainable food.  The raw slices we offer contain nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables, it is fresher and healthier for your body.  We find this good for those who live with GF and DF diets and those who would like to lose weight.  You will also get lots of fibre and antioxidants from the food we offer in our cabinet.  It's our little way of raising awareness to a raw food lifestyle.

Why Nut Milk?  In China, I use to drink a glass of soy milk with my breakfast.  The first week I landed in New Zealand I went to the supermarket and brought a box of soy milk.  I just took one sip and then I tipped the whole box out, straight away.  It tasted so artificial.  That was the first and the last time I ever drank soy milk from a box.  From that moment on I didn't believe in non dairy milk in a box.  That's the main reason for me to make the raw non dairy milk and I have served it from the first day when the cafe opened.


Comments

  1. Best coffee/raw food spot in Auckland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found a better almond milk coffee, ever!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Inflammation Relieved By Becoming Vegan.

Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Food Intolerances And Fodmaps