Food Intolerances And Fodmaps



I’m 64, and about 10 years ago I started noticing that my gut was playing up. I'd brought up 4 kids on what I considered to be a healthy diet of home-cooked meals, although there was a fair amount of baking in the mix!

I had severe heartburn so sought medical help and went on medication for that. The problems with my gut continued, though. I was lucky to be living in Auckland at the time and had private medical insurance. My GP was sympathetic and referred me to a gastroenterologist in Milford, Ishy Maharaj.

By then I'd done some reading about FODMAPS which resonated with me. Further tests were done to ensure there was no cancer lurking - a relief to know I was in the clear. Ishy was just lovely and treated me with respect. He gave me reading material and said I was intelligent enough to work out the diet.

So home I went to figure it out, but I was actually quite shattered. My relationship with food had changed forever. Now I was almost too scared to eat anything.

I requested a hydrogen breath test which confirmed I was fructose but not lactose intolerant. This was a huge relief. I knew what I was dealing with. I was still concerned that I was on such a restricted diet, especially with regard to fruit and vegetables, so I asked to be referred to a dietition.

Jill Thompson in Milford was a godsend. She reassured me that eating the "wrong" food wouldn't cause lasting damage, just short-term discomfort. She also suggested I trial polyols (plums, apricots, nectarines, mushrooms and avocados, all my favourites) and this was a gamechanger. I was now clear about what I could eat, what I should eat in moderation, and what I should avoid.

This is now my life. I have a pile of Fodmaps cookery books (be aware there are gut books out there which I would treat with huge skepticism, but look out for books by Sue Shepherd - she's great).

Eating out provides challenges. Finding a gluten-free sweet treat is easy, but it's the hidden ingredients you have to watch out for. My no no’s are onions and dried fruit.

And beware of the effects of stress and anxiety.  My gut is still not 100% and never will be. I manage it the best I can and try not to worry if I break "the rules".

The best advice I can give? Get a diagnosis.


Comments

Popular Posts

Inflammation Relieved By Becoming Vegan.

Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups